Department of Biomedical Sciences
Member of the GSBS Faculty
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Basic Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Dental Branch (1998-2003)
Ph.D., Department of Oral Pathology, Okayama University Graduate School of Dentistry, Okayama, Japan (1998)
M.S., Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Harbin Medical University School of Dentistry, Harbin, China (1989)
D.D.S., Harbin Medical University School of Dentistry, Harbin, China (1983)
Associate Professor with tenure, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry (2009-present)
Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry (2006-2009)
Assistant Professor, Department of Endodontics, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Dental Branch (2003-2006)
Visiting Scientist, Department of Oral Pathology, Okayama University School of Dentistry, Okayama, Japan (1993-1994)
Visiting Scientist, Department of Oral Surgery, Asahi University School of Dentistry, Japan (1992-1993)
Senior Assistant Professor (Lecturer), Senior Doctor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Harbin Medical University School of Dentistry, China (1989-1992)
Assistant Professor, Department of Endodontics & Periodontics, Harbin Medical University School of Dentistry, China (1983-1986)
Teaching responsibilities include:
Biochemistry/Nutrition (dental), Oral Histology (dental), Cell and Molecular Biology (graduate), and Oral Histology (dental hygiene)
Dentin and bone are mineralized tissues that resemble each other in composition and mechanisms of formation. In addition to a predominant collagenous matrix, dentin and bone contain non-collagenous proteins that play vital roles in the formation of dentin by odontoblasts and in the homeostatic mechanisms of formation and breakdown of bone by osteoblasts, osteocytes and osteoclasts. Dr. Qin’s research group is interested in the roles of non-collagenous proteins in dentinogenesis and osteogenesis.
Dr. Qin’s laboratory has been primarily focusing on one category of non-collagenous proteins termed the SIBLING (Small Integrin-Binding LIgand, N-linked Glycoprotein) family that includes bone sialoprotein, osteopontin, dentin sialophosphoprotein (DSPP), dentin matrix protein 1 (DMP1) and matrix extracellular phosphoglycoprotein. In particular, Dr. Qin is focusing on the roles of posttranslational modifications of DSPP and DMP1 in dentinogenesis and osteogenesis; mutations of Dspp gene are associated with dentinogenesis imperfecta.
The major objectives of Dr. Qin’s current research projects are (i) to uncover the enzyme(s) that catalyzes the proteolytic processing (fragmentation) of DSPP and DMP1, (ii) to test the effects of DSPP and DMP1 as well as their processed fragments on biomineralization, (iii) to uncover where DSPP and DMP1 are processed, and (iv) to elucidate the biological functions of the proteoglycan forms of DMP1 and DSPP. The long-term objectives of Qin’s research are to understand the mechanisms by which dentin and bone are formed. More recently, Qin’s laboratory has started to investigate the possible roles of SIBLING protein posttranslational modifications in tumor metastasis to bone. Additionally, his laboratory is routinely providing purified dentin and bone matrix proteins, as well as a variety of monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies against these proteins to investigators worldwide.
- Studies of Proteins Involved in Dentinogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE005092:27-31; 07/01/04-06/30/09 (PI)
- Studies of Proteins Involved in Dentinogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE005092-31 Supplement, 06/01/09-05/31/10 (PI)
- Studies of the Roles of DMP1 and DSPP in Osteogenesis and Dentinogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE005092: 32-35, 07/01/09-06/30/13 (PI)
- Studies of the Roles of DMP1 and DSPP in Osteogenesis and Dentinogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE005092-32A1S1 (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009-Grant), 09/23/09-08/31/11 (PI)
- Studies of the Roles of DMP1 and DSPP in Osteogenesis and Dentinogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE005092-32A1S2; 03/31/10-08/31/11 (PI)
- DMP1 Mutations: Defects in Odontogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE015209, 09/01/08-06/30/13 (Co-PI)
- The Roles of FAM20C (DMP4) in Odontogenesis and Osteogenesis. NIH/NIDCR R01 DE022549-01A1:1-5; 12/01/12-11/30/17 (PI)
- Qin C, Cook RG, Orkiszewski RS, and Butler WT: Identification and characterization of the corboxy-terminal region of rat dentin sialoprotein (DSP). J Biol Chem 276: 904-909, 2001.
- Qin C, Brunn JC, Jones J, George A, Ramachandran A, Gorski JP, and Butler WT: A comparative study of sialic acid-rich proteins in rat bone and dentin. Eur J Oral Sci 109:133-141, 2001.
- Qin C, Brunn JC, Cadena E, Ridall A, Tsujigiwa H, Nagatsuka H, Nagai N, and Butler WT: The expression of dentin sialophosphoprotein gene in bone. J Dent Res 81: 392-294, 2002.
- Razzouk S, Brunn JC, Qin C, Tye C, Goldburg HA, Butler WT: Osteopontin post-translational modifications, possibly phosphorylation is required for in vitro bone resorption but not osteoclast adhesion. Bone 30:40-47, 2002.
- Qin C, Brunn JC, Cadena E, Ridall A and Butler WT: Dentin sialoprotein in bone and dentin sialophosphoprotein gene by osteoblasts. Conn Tissue Res 44: 179-183, 2003.
- Qin C, Brunn JC, Baba O, Wygant JN, McIntyre BW, and Butler WT: Dentin sialoprotein isoforms: detection and characterization of a high molecular weight dentin sialoprotein (HMW-DSP). Eur J Oral Sci 111: 235-242, 2003.
- Qin C, Brunn JC, Cook RG, Orkiszewski RS, Malone JP, Veis A, and Butler WT: Evidence for the proteolytic processing of dentin matrix protein 1: Identification and characterization of processed fragments and cleavage sites. J Biol Chem 278: 34700–34708, 2003.
- Qin C, Baba O, and Butler WT: Posttranslational modifications of SIBLING proteins and their roles in osteogenesis and dentinogenesis. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med, 15: 126-136, 2004.
- Baba O, Qin C, Brunn JC, Jones JE, Wygant JN, McIntyre BW, and Butler WT: Detection of dentin sialoprotein (DSP) in rat periodontium. Eur J Oral Sci 112: 163-170, 2004.
- Baba O, Qin C, Brunn JC, Wygant JN, McIntyre BW, and Butler WT: Co-localization of dentin matrix protein 1 (DMP1) and dentin sialoprotein (DSP) at late stages of rat molar development. Matrix Biology 23:371-379, 2004.
- Tartaix PH, Doulaverakis M, George A, Fisher LW, Butler WT, Qin C, Salih E, Tan M, Fujimoto Y, Spevak L, and Boskey AL: Dentin matrix protein-1: In vitro effects on hydroxyapatite formation provide insights into in vivo functions. J Biol Chem, 279:18115-18120, 2004.
- Gericke A, Qin C, Spevak L, Fujimoto Y, Butler WT, Sorensen ES, and Boskey AL: Importance of phosphorylation for osteopontin regulation of biomineralization. Calcif Tissue Int 77:45-54, 2005.
- Young CS, Kim SW, Qin C, Baba O, Butler WT, Taylor RR, Vacanti JP, Bartlett JD, and Yelick PC: Developmental analysis and computer modelling of bioengineered teeth. Arch Oral Biol 50:259-265, 2005.
- He G, Gajjeraman S, Schultz D, Cookson D, Qin C, Butler WT, Hao J and George A: Spatially and temporally controlled biomineralization is facilitated by interaction between self-assembled dentin matrix protein 1 and calcium phosphate nuclei in solution. Biochemistry 44:16140-16148, 2005.
- Moses K D, Butler W T and Qin C: Immunohistochemical study of SIBLING proteins in reactionary dentin of rat molars at different ages. Eur J Oral Sci 114: 216-222, 2006.
- Qin C, Huang B, Wygant JN, McIntyre BW, McDonald CH, Cook RG and Butler WT: A chondroitin sulfate chain attached to the bone dentin matrix protein 1 NH2-terminal fragment. J Biol Chem 281:8034-8040, 2006.
- Gajjeraman S, Narayanan K, Hao J, Qin C, George A: Matrix macromolecules in hard tissues control the nucleation and hierarchical assembly of hydroxyapatite. J Biol Chem 282:1193-1204, 2007.
- Liu L, Qin C, Butler WT, Ratner BD, Jiang S: Controlling the orientation of bone osteopontin via its specific binding with collagen I to modulate osteoblast adhesion. J Biomed Mater Res A. 80:102-110, 2007.
- Qin C, D’Souza R, Feng J: Dentin Matrix Protein 1 (DMP1): New and Important Roles for Biomineralization and Phosphate Homeostasis. J Dent Res 86(12): 1134-1141, 2007.
- Bernards MT, Qin C, Ratner BD, Jiang S: Adhesion of MC3T3-E1 cells to bone sialoprotein and bone osteopontin specifically bound to collagen I. J Biomed Mater Res A 86:779-787, 2008.
- Yao Z, Xing L, Qin C, Schwarz EM, Boyce BF: Osteoclast precursor interaction with bone matrix induces osteoclast formation directly by an IL-1-mediated autocrine mechanism. J Biol Chem 283:9917-9924, 2008.
- Shibata S, Baba O, Oda T, Tamaki T, Qin C, Butler T, Sakakura Y, Takano Y: An immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of the pericellular matrix of uneroded hypertrophic chondrocytes in the mandibular condyle of aged c-src-deficient mice. Arch Oral Biol 53:220-230, 2008.
- Huang B, Sun Y, Maciejewska I, Qin D, Peng T, McIntyre B, Wygant J, Butler WT, Qin C: Distribution of SIBLING proteins in the organic and inorganic phases of rat dentin and bone. Eur J Oral Sci 116:104-112, 2008.
- Bernards MT, Qin C, Jiang S: MC3T3-E1 cell adhesion to hydroxyapatite with adsorbed bone sialoprotein, bone osteopontin, and bovine serum albumin. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 64:236-247, 2008.
- Huang B, Maciejewska I, Sun Y, Peng T, Qin D, Bonewald L, Maciejewska I, Butler WT, Feng J, Qin C: Identification of full-length dentin matrix protein 1 in dentin and bone. Calcif Tissue Int 82:401-410, 2008.
- Chen S, Chen L, Jahangiri A, Chen B, Wu Y, Chuang H, Qin C, MacDougall M: Expression and processing of small integrin-binding ligand N-linked glycoproteins in mouse odontoblastic cells. Arch Oral Biol 53:879-889, 2008.
- Lu Y, Qin C, Xie Y, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ: Studies of the DMP1 57-kDa functional domain both in vivo and in vitro. Cells Tissues Organs 189:175-185, 2009.
- Peng T, Huang B, Sun Y, Lu Y, Bonewald LF, Chen S, Butler WT, Feng J, D'Souza RN, Qin C: Blocking of proteolytic processing and deletion of glycosaminoglycan side chain of mouse DMP1 by substituting critical amino acid residues. Cells Tissues Organs 189:192-197, 2009.
- Maciejewska I, Qin D, Huang B, Sun Y, Mues G, Svoboda K, Bonewald LF, Butler WT, Feng J, Qin C: Distinct compartmentalization of dentin matrix protein 1 fragments in mineralized tissues and cells. Cells Tissues Organs 189:186-191, 2009.
- Lin Y, Cheng YS, Qin C, Lin C, D'Souza R, Wang F: FGFR2 in the dental epithelium is essential for development and maintenance of the maxillary cervical loop, a stem cell niche in mouse incisors. Dev Dyn 238:324-330, 2009.
- Maciejewska I, Cowan C, Svoboda K, Butler WT, D'Souza R, Qin C: The NH2-terminal and COOH-terminal fragments of dentin matrix protein 1 (DMP1) localize differently in the compartments of dentin and growth plate of bone. J Histochem Cytochem 57:155-166, 2009.
- Sun Y, Gandhi V, Prasad M, Yu W, Wang X, Zhu Q, Feng JQ, Hinton RJ, Qin C. Distribution of small integrin-binding ligand, N-linked glycoproteins (SIBLING) in the condylar cartilage of rat mandible. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:272-281, 2010.
- Gericke A, Qin C, Sun Y, Redfern R, Redfern D, Fujimoto Y, Taleb H, Butler WT, Boskey AL. Different forms of DMP1 play distinct roles in mineralization. J Dent Res 89:355-359, 2010.
- Sun Y, Lu Y, Chen S, Prasad M, Wang X, Zhu Q, Zhang J, Ball H, Feng J, Butler WT, Qin C. Key proteolytic cleavage site and full-length form of DSPP. J Dent Res 89:498-503, 2010.
- Zhang B, Sun Y, Chen L, Guan C, Guo L, Qin C. Expression and distribution of SIBLING proteins in the predentin/dentin and mandible of hyp mice. Oral Dis 16: 453-464, 2010 (PMID: 20233318).
- Prasad M, Butler WT, Qin C. Dentin sialophosphoprotein in biomineralization. Connect Tissue Res 51:404-417, 2010 (PMID: 20367116).
- Zhu Q, Sun Y, Prasad M, Wang X, Yamoah AK, Li Y, Feng J, Qin C. Glycosaminoglycan chain of dentin sialoprotein proteoglycan. J Dent Res 89:808-812, 2010 (PMID: 20400719).
- Sun Y, Prasad M, Gao T, Wang X, Zhu Q, D'Souza R, Feng J, Qin C. Failure to process dentin matrix protein 1 (DMP1) into fragments leads to its loss of function in osteogenesis. J Biol Chem 285: 31713-22, 2010.
- Wang X, Hao J, Xie Y, Sun Y, Hernandez B, Yamoah A, Prasad M, Zhu Q, Feng J, Qin C. Expression of FAM20C in the osteogenesis and odontogenesis of mouse. J Histochem Cytochem 58:957-967, 2010.
- Sun Y, Ma S, Zhou J, Yamoah A, Feng J, Hinton R, Qin C. Distribution of small integrin-binding ligand, N-linked glycoproteins (SIBLING) in the articular cartilage of the rat femoral head. J Histochem Cytochem 58:1033-43, 2010.
- Jiang B, Cao Z, Lu Y, Janik C, Lauziere S, Xie Y, Poliard A, Qin C, Ward L, Feng J. DMP1 C-terminal mutant mice recapture the human ARHR tooth phenotype. J Bone Miner 25: 2155-64, 2010.
- Lv K, Huang H, Lu Y, Qin C, Li Z, Feng J. Circling behavior developed in Dmp1 null mice is due to bone defects in the vestibular apparatus. Int J Bio Sci 6:537-545, 2010.
- Shi J, Jiao X, Song T, Zhang B, Qin C, Cao F. CRISPLD2 polymorphisms are associated with non-syndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate in a northern Chinese population. Eur J Oral Sci 118:430-433, 2010.
- Zhang R, Lu Y, Ye L, Yuan B, Yu S, Qin C, Xie Y, Gao T, Drezner MK, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ. Unique roles of phosphorus in endochondral bone formation and osteocyte maturation. J Bone Miner Res 26:1047-56, 2011.
- Ma D, Zhang R, Sun Y, Rios HF, Haruyama N, Han X, Kulkarni AB, Qin C, Feng JQ. A novel role of periostin in postnatal tooth formation and mineralization. J Biol Chem 286:4302-9, 2011.
- Lu Y, Yuan B, Qin C, Cao Z, Xie Y, Dallas SL, McKee MD, Drezner MK, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ. The biological function of DMP-1 in osteocyte maturation is mediated by its 57-kDa C-terminal fragment. J Bone Miner Res 26:331-340, 2011.
- Sun Y, Chen L, Ma S, Zhou J, Zhang H, Feng JQ, Qin C. Roles of DMP1 processing in osteogenesis, dentinogenesis and chondrogenesis. Cells Tissues Organs 194:199-204, 2011.
- Prasad M, Zhu Q, Sun Y, Wang X, Kulkarni A, Boskey A, Feng JQ, Qin C. Expression of dentin sialophosphoprotein in non-mineralized tissues. J Histochem Cytochem 59:1009-21, 2011.
- Qin Q, Xu Y, He T, Qin C, Xu J. Normal and disease-related biological functions of Twist1 and underlying molecular mechanisms. Cell Res 22:90-106, 2012.
- Zhu Q, Prasad M, Kong H, Lu Y, Sun Y, Wang X, Yamoah A, Feng JQ, Qin C. Partial blocking of mouse DSPP processing by substitution of Gly(451)-Asp(452) bond suggests the presence of secondary cleavage site(s). Connect Tissue Res 53:307-312, 2012.
- Napierala D, Sun Y, Maciejewska I, Bertin TK, Dawson B, D'Souza R, Qin C, Lee B. Transcriptional repression of the Dspp gene leads to dentinogenesis imperfecta phenotype of Colla1-Trps1 transgenic mice. J Bone Miner Res 27:1735-45, 2012.
- Wang X, Wang S, Li C, Gao T, Liu Y, Rangiani A, Sun Y, Hao J, George A, Lu Y, Groppe J, Yuan B, Feng JQ, Qin C. Inactivation of a novel FGF23 regulator, FAM20C, leads to hypophosphatemic rickets in mice. PLoS Genet 8:e1002708, 2012.
- Zurick KM, Qin C (corresponding author), Bernards MT. Adhesion of MC3T3-E1 cells bound to dentin phosphoprotein specifically bound to collagen type I. J Biomed Mater Res A 100:2492-98, 2012.
- Zhu Q, Gibson MP, Liu Q, Liu Y, Lu Y, Wang X, Feng JQ, Qin C. Proteolytic processing of dentin sialophosphoprotein (DSPP) is essential to dentinogenesis. J Biol Chem 287:30426-35, 2012.
- Rangiani A, Cao Z, Sun Y, Lu Y, Gao T, Yuan B, Rodgers A, Qin C, Kuro-o M, Feng JQ. Protective roles of DMP1 in high phosphate homeostasis. PLoS One 7(8):e42329, 2012.
- Siyam A, Wang S, Qin C, Mues G, Stevens R, D'Souza RN, Lu Y. Nuclear localization of DMP1 proteins suggests a role in intracellular signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 424:641-646, 2012.
- Wang X, Wang S, Lu Y, Gibson MP, Liu Y, Yuan B, Feng JQ, Qin C. FAM20C plays an essential role in the formation of murine teeth. J Biol Chem 287:35934-42, 2012.
- Gibson MP, Zhu Q, Liu Q, D'Souza RN, Feng JQ, Qin C. Loss of dentin sialophosphoprotein leads to periodontal diseases in mice. J Periodontal Res. In press, 2012. [Epub ahead of print; PMID:22934831]
- Zurick KM, Qin C, Bernards MT. Mineralization induction effects of osteopontin, bone sialoprotein, and dentin phosphoprotein on a biomimetic collagen substrate. J Biomed Mater Res A. In press, 2012 [Epub ahead of print; PMID:23161527]
- Li C, Xie X, Wang X, Sun Y, Liu P, Chen L, Qin C. Differential expression and localization of dentin matrix protein 1 (DMP1) fragments in mouse submandibular glands. J Mol Histol. In press, 2012 [Epub ahead of print; PMID: 23111467]
|2010-present||Member, Journal of Endodontics Editorial Board|
|2009-present||Secretary and Treasurer, International Association for Dental Research (IADR)/American Association for Dental Research (AADR) Mineralized Tissue Group|
|2009-present||Member, Journal of Dental Research Editorial Board|
Ethics Committee Member, American Association for Dental Research
|2007||Recipient of "Best Poster Award," The 9th International Conference on the Chemistry and Biology of Mineralized Tissues, Austin, TX, USA|
|2001||Recipient of "New Investigator Award," The 7th International Conference on the Chemistry and Biology of Mineralized Tissues, Jacksonville, FL, USA|
|1996||Recipient of "Hard Tissue Biology Award," Japanese Society of Hard Tissue Biology, Tokyo, Japan|